Friday, November 14, 2008

The Unknown

When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly. - Edward Teller

It's hard to walk into the unknown, scary usually. Sadly, this is the reason that many people won't and never will commit to attempting something greater than what they believe they are, or what they have, or what they can do. But you might notice that if you inch into that darkness, just tiptoe, the more comfortable you will become with not being comfortable, being comfortable with the possibility of failure.

Look, many an entrepreneur, theorist, artist, has had to learn to overcome failure. Many have had to learn to overcome the fear of failure. Many have had to learn that faith isn't just about religion, but believing in the outcome that lies in wait. What if they never had? What evolutions in civilization would have taken place?

And I love this quote. It reminds me that I will either succeed or learn the lessons of failure. I have often wished to be fearless, to be carefree from the consequences of my actions. I guess I believed for a long time that those who were successful must have had that element of fearlessness in them. But that is probably being less than honest with myself. If the journey were easy for everyone, what would be in the telling of the story?

0 comments: