Friday, December 5, 2008

Ah, the blessings of friendship...

A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling. - Arthur Brisbane

As you weave your way down your life's path, numerous people will accompany you. If you are lucky, you will have the sturdy, steady friendship necessary during difficult times.

Today, I have chosen a quote on friendship that didn't reflect the opinion of so many that friendships are proven during these tough times. I think we all know that is true. But, rather, a comment on the qualities of the person's whose voice and hand are at the ready when needed.

When I was younger, I took the criticism of friends badly. Who was anyone to say anything to tarnish my own self-image? With the years came the realization that I was blessed to have anyone close enough to me who cared enough to want me to be improved, to want my life to be better than it was.

Yes, true friendship is proven when the niceties of life flitter away, whether due to circumstance or personal decisions. But those who would tell you the truth, even when, especially when, you don't want to hear it, to reveal the possibilities of the future for you, are those most worthy of being kept.

I am so blessed for my friendships. May they last as long as life.

0 comments: