Monday, July 27, 2009

On forced idleness...

I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely. - Arthur Conan Doyle

After experiencing a pinched nerve that seemed to completely knock me out for the count, I awoke this morning feeling better, rested, in the least pain in a week, and found myself surrounded by the reward of idleness: a small mess and a large pile of work to be done.

It's funny how you can almost miss working (maybe even the things you dislike doing) when you've been forced to abstain from these activities for a while. And when there's more to do when you come back to all of that, it's a strange sort of comfort; you're happy that you are capable of doing these things again.

Now that I can start on my tasks, I don't want to stop; not so much because I just want to get all of it over with, but because I can and because I want to feel that sense of accomplishment that comes from finishing even the simplest of chores. And with each set of tasks done, my energy is growing, something that can't be said from sitting lazily on the couch.

I'm glad to be back, and won't be taking for granted the experience of health and being pain-free any time soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! I helped my best friend move today and it was sooooo hard but now I feel wonderful!

Stephanie said...

Amazing how you can take your good health for granted until you are down and out! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better!

Samantha Betts said...

Soooo glad to be feeling better. Thanks for the well wishes.

kanishk said...

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better!I feel wonderful!

Work From Home india